Hello my friends! I took a break this summer from most of my regular art things, like over-posting on Instagram and daily studio work for a number of reasons but September is almost here and it is coming at me fast. I'm so excited to tell you about all of the fun events, classes and openings coming right up, because a list is easiest for me to keep everything straight, here is my bloggy list:
1. On Thursday, August 31st there is a VIP presale and season 50 launch party at Second Street Gallery before the official opening on Friday, September 1 for Teeny Tiny Trifecta 6. I'm honored to have three 8x8 inch mixed media collages on cradled board in the show. This is a fundraiser for the gallery and every piece in the show sells for $100. You will be able to find my pieces in the web store as well, just in case you are unable to make the trip to Charlottesville, Virginia. The show runs through September 29.
2. A little closer to home, I'll have a number of pieces up at Northside Social in Arlington, Virginia from September 1 to November 30, 2023. There will be an opening celebration, which is free and open to all, on Friday September 1, from 5pm to 9pm. There will be live music, live painting, and pop up makers throughout the cafe and wine bar. I plan to be there for as much of the reception as possible, so find me and say hello!
3. I've got a new studio space in Falls Church, Virginia at the Studios at 307. The space, located above Art and Frame of Falls Church, includes artist studios as well as several other small businesses and a gallery space in the lower level entryway. On September 17 we will be hosting an open house from 1-4pm.
4. The Arlington Visual Art Studio Tour (AVAST) is coming up in September as well. I will be opening my new studio at the Studios at 307 on Saturday, September 23 from 11am to 5pm along with several other artists who live in Arlington but have their studio space just across the border in Falls Church. Other artists around Arlington will also be opening their studios on both Saturday and Sunday, so please check the interactive map to see which day the various studios will be open.
5. Additionally, and connected with AVAST, there will be a show at Gallery 3700, from Sept 8-Dec 8. This will include works from many of the visual artists opening their studios during the week of September 23-24. This gallery is located at the Cultural Affairs Building, 3700 S Four Mile Run Drive Arlington, Virginia.
6. Starting in October, I will have two 6-week classes available at the Museum of Contemporary Art Arlington, one for adults and one for kids. I'm absolutely thrilled that I will be teaching My 1st Portfolio again, a first art experience for young children and a caregiver. This Thursday morning, hourlong class (10-11am) is a wonderful introduction to art process, materials and classroom experience. I'll also be teaching Mixed Media Expressions again for adults on Friday mornings from 10-12. Keep an eye to the MoCA Education page to sign up.
7. Looking ahead a little, we are in the planning stages for an exhibition at the Reston Art Gallery focusing on collage and mixed media work. A group of artists has been gathering and planning and creating, so keep an eye out for more information on this as November approaches.
Who knows what else will get added to the list, but I'll try to keep everything up to date on Instagram. As I'm sure I've said before, doing the admin tasks fall way down on my list because I don't like doing them but I usually keep things fresh over at @mollyfmccracken. Enjoy your weekend! :)